Pile Fuel Storage Pond Strategic Objectives:
- Safe stewardship of nuclear material
- Restore the basic condition of the asset
- Reduce risk associated with the storage of nuclear material
- Prepare plant for retrievals
- Retrieve the waste
- Decommission all of the facilities and reduce the pond to base slab
The Pile Fuel Storage Pond programme scope is to progressively remove the radiological inventory, reducing the risk and hazard posed by the storage of wastes within the legacy facility.
The sludge is currently being transferred into an in-pond Sludge Corral, where it will be stored pending treatment through the Local Sludge Treatment Plant.
The first major milestone will be to complete the Local Sludge Treatment Plant Sludge Buffer project which involves the transfer of sludge from the in-pond corral to the Local Sludge Storage Tanks.
Bulk desludging will be completed during the 2015/16 financial year and the completion of the Local Sludge Treatment Plant Export Project is planned for the 2017/18 financial year.
The final phase of the programme will see the dewatering and dismantling of the remaining structure to base slab.