The Sellafield site has been operational since the 1940’s, when it was used as a Royal Ordnance factory supporting the war effort. The site is also home to the world’s first commercial nuclear power station – Calder Hall, which generated electricity from 1956 to 2003.
Today the site is home to a wide range of operations including the decommissioning of redundant buildings associated with site’s early defence work; spent fuel management including Magnox and Oxide fuel reprocessing; and the safe management and storage of nuclear waste.
Hinton House, Risley
Hinton House hosts the engineering design capability supporting major development projects for Sellafield Ltd. Other support functions based at Hinton House include Legal, Human Resources, Communications and Finance.
Hinton House was named as a tribute to one of the world’s leading nuclear engineers – Lord Hinton of Bankside, who died in 1983.
Christopher Hinton who played a major role in establishing the UK nuclear energy programme, set up the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority’s industrial group at Risley, Warrington.
Birchwood Park, Park Avenue, Risley, Warrington, WA3 6GR Tel + (0)1925 832000
Ingwell Drive, Westlakes Science and Technology Park, Moor Row, Cumbria CA24 3HW
Tel + 44(0)19467 81111
Nuclear Shared Business Services
Chapel Bank, Curwen Road, Workington, Cumbria CA14 2DD
Tel + 44 (0)19467 81000
Sir Christopher Harding House
North Shore Road, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7XY
Tel + (0)1946 598700
The Copeland Centre
Catherine St, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7SJ
Tel + (0)1946 691756
Albion Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 7NE
Tel + (0)19467 70690
Security and Distribution Centre
Lillyhall Warehouse, Blackwood Road, Lillyhall, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 4JW
Tel + (0)1946 598677