Sellafield Ltd and its tier 2 partner organisations continue to be fully committed in ensuring that we increase opportunities of working with small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) as part of our supply chain, rightly providing a way of boosting SME growth, encouraging inward innovation and boosting the UK economy.
A strong SME supply chain working in support of either Sellafield Ltd directly or as a subcontractor to a number of our tier 2 partner organisations, often large multinational companies brings huge benefits for us as we deliver against our complex decommissioning challenges.
That’s why we fully support the Policy of Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) in relation to spend with Small and Medium-sized Enterprises.
This commitment has been further enhanced with the agreement of a number of principles aligned to ethical practices and an expectation of adherence to:
- Operating a robust, auditable make v buy process which properly identifies appropriate packages of work to be performed by SMEs.
- Applying a ‘best athlete’ approach to procurement in which work is advertised, competed and awarded openly and transparently, with contracts placed on the basis of criteria declared at the outset.
- Where a tender states that work will be subcontracted to a named SME, ensuring this takes place.
- Paying lower tier suppliers in accordance with statutory guidance.
- Not using SME as a free estimating resource.
- Respecting SME’s ownership of Intellectual Property.
- Transferring risk into lower tier suppliers in a reasonable and proportionate manner, cognisant of who is best able to manage that risk.